Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What do you think...

Have you ever wondered about things that little kids can see that we can't? Or can they see things that we can't? I'm not sure, but I will explain what brings this question up...feel free to comment and let me know what you think.
Last night we had a home group bible study at our house which we do every Tuesday night with some friends from church. Everyone left by about 9 except for one guy (Jason). I was trying to get our little night owl to sleep so he just hung out for a while and talked with Josh and I. At about 10 he decided he would go, so Josh stepped outside with him while I was still rocking away in my recliner. Ashby was almost asleep when all of a sudden she looked up and started grinning. Remember it was just me and her in the house...
She looked over beside Josh's chair and started giggling. It was so cute that I couldn't help but laugh with her. She did that for about a minute and then she started looking right above my head. She never looked at me which was kind of weird because usually she laughs when someone is trying to get her to laugh. When she was looking above my head and she started giggling again I automatically started to cry. She could have just been thinking about something funny or picturing some silly face in her mind, but it hit me at that moment that maybe she was seeing Boomer and he was playing with her. Now...don't start thinking..."she has lost her mind!" I have no idea if that can even happen or if it did, but whatever it was, was really cool. And I guess if I want to believe that it was her brother playing peek-a-boo with her then that's okay too.
When Josh came back in I asked him what he thought about it and he said, "Do you really think God would let Boomer come back here to play with his sister?" I told him I didn't know, but that I did know that Ashby was smiling at something and there was nothing there!
So...what do you think...does God allow kids to see things that adults don't see or was it just gas?
I hope this finds you having a wonderful day...until next time...

6 comments:

Brin said...

So great! Who could possibly know what Ashby saw that you couldn't!? My first thought was "angel!"... maybe one that took Josh's seat but then hurried over to stand by the two of you and smile and play with Ashby. But who knows! Maybe it is Boomer... maybe we get more visits from heaven than we can ever know!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite hymns right now...God moves in mysterious ways!

God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm.
Deep in unfathomable mines of never-failing skill,
He treasures up His bright designs, and works His sovereign will.
Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take, the clouds ye so much dread,
are big with mercy, and shall break In BLESSINGS on (or over)your head.
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence, He hides a SMILING FACE.
His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste, but sweet will be the flower.
Blind unbelief is sure to err, and scan his work in vain;
God is His own interpreter, and He will make it plain.

We won't know until heaven...but what a sweet thought of Boomer!
(I added the parentheses)

Myers' said...

Wow! We do serve a BIG God and with Him all things are possible! Also, we live way below our means in Christ all too often by the limitations we put on Him. We miss out on so many blessings by doing that; I'm sure. So, I would love to think that's exactly what happened, who knows -Ashby does.

Anonymous said...

I know kids see things that we don't see. I've heard people in hospitals talk about it. You have no idea how many angels God has assigned to your home...at the four corners, at the doors, at every window.....

LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!

Your one-time landlord...ha

Jessica said...

I think you're right. Ashby saw something, something or somebody. I also think it could have been Boomer. We are confined to what we think is possible, but little Ashby does not recognize the spiritual barriers that us adults build. I really don't care what anyone else thinks, I believe Ashby was being entertained by her the spirit of her big brother. Thanks for sharing this story. I want you to know that at our house all of us openly say if this or that happens and we die at least we'll see Boomer again. We love you all.

Anonymous said...

I think kids see things we don't. Faith used to tell everybody "God lives in Mommy and Daddy's room." And she would play peek-a-boo over my shoulder when I was on the computer. It was always in the same place between two windows. I think it was an angel. Or have you ever walked into a babies room and they were reaching for someone from their bed who wasn't there, not crying, just reaching lke it is someone they know. I don't know if it's true, but it makes me smile. (Especially if it could be Boomer)Love you!!!